What is Neurosurgery?
Neurosurgery is the speciality concerned with the diagnosis, treatment and rehabilitation of patients with disorders affecting the brain, spinal column and spinal cord. These disorders may be due to a birth defect, traumatic injury, cancer or other reasons. Microneurosurgery can treat complex brain and spine diseases. It also delivers better results and better quality of life.
Aayush Brain & Spine Center
At Aayush Brain & Spine Center we provide state-of-the-art medicine in the treatment and management of wide range of neurological disorders through a multi-disciplinary approach. The department is equipped with modern state-of-the-art operation theater, high magnification operating microscope (Moller-Wedel Hi-R 700), high speed drill system and craniotome (Stryker Core system), C-arm (Seimens), special microsurgical instruments, etc. There is a dedicated Neuro ICU with trained staff to cater for acute, life-threating neurological illness or injury.
A wide range of neurological services are offered by the Neurosurgery department:
Out patient consultation services:
for assessing the need for elective neurosurgery
CT scan & non invasive CT angiogram, MRI & MRA/MRV, cerebral angiogram, comprehensive histopathology service, etc.
Comprehensive brain and spine trauma care with trauma team:
Dr M A Ameen
MS MCh Neurosurgery FICS FCVSView Profile
Cranial - supratentorial (Gliomas, Meningiomas, Pituitary tumours, pineal tumours, Craniopharyngiomas, Intraventricular lesions, Developmental cysts, Bony tumours, Fibrous Dysplasias, Cavernous sinus lesions, Metastasis and other malignant lesions, etc. and infratentorial (cerebellar lesions, Brainstem lesions, Dural based lesions, CP angle & Petroclival tumours, Intraventricular lesions, Foramen magnum tumours, Jugular foramen tumours, etc.)
Spinal (intramedullary tumours, extramedullary tumours, extradular tumors etc.)
treatment of neurological disorders in children and adolescents.
- Brain and spine tumours
- Cranial and spinal dysaphism
- CSF diversion procedures - VP shunt, TP shunt, Reservoir placements, twist drill placements etc.
- CV junction abnormalities
Skull base surgery
to treat many types of neurological problems, from the removal of pituitary tumors to the treatment of facial pain resulting from cranial nerve compression (trigeminal neuralgia)
cranial (aneurysm clipping, AVM excision, etc), spinal (AVM), Carotid endarterectomy, etc.
- Microdiscectomy, laminectomy, laminoplasty, and foraminotomy for lower back pain and radiating pain in lower limbs
- Lumbar interbody fusion with pedicle screw fixation for lower back pain and instability of lumbar spine (spondylolisthesis)
- Anterior cervical discectomy/corpectomy and fusion for neck pain and radiating pain in the upper limbs, myelopathy and radiculopathy
- Artificial disc placement (disc arthroplasty) for disc diseases
- Cervical and thoracic posterior fusion procedures
- Complex spine surgery - CV junction abnormalities, split cord malformations, etc.
- Minimally invasive spine surgery
Image-guided spinal injections, vertebroplasty, and kyphoplasty
General neurosurgery, including CSF leak repairs, cranioplasty
services including physiotherapy, occupational therapy help in the recovery of patients with neurological injury or illness and to minimize or compensate for any functional alterations resulting from it.